Subject: Re: [PATCH 12/20] config: plug various memory leaks

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 09:11:04 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The "message" part in it says that it is encoded in iso-8859-1:
>> 
>>     --ovDSRLSkA00eIgbN
>>     Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>>     Content-Disposition: inline
>>     Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>> ...
>> 
>> But the source in t/t4210-log-i18n.sh actually is written in UTF-8.
>> The thing is, the "-u" option (recode into utf-8" is supposed to be
>> the default for "git am", and it is passed down to the underlying
>> mailinfo machinery in builtin/am.c:parse_mail().
>> 
>> But apparently that is not working correctly.  I see in the patch an
>> unrecoded byte E9 in the resulting patch file that is fed to the
>> underlying "git apply" machinery, failing the application.
>
> Hm. I'll double check mail headers before sending out the next iteration.

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, I am not saying that
sending =E9 in a part that is marked as charset=iso-8859-1 using
quoted-printable to express the letter é in a context line of a file
that is encoded in UTF-8.  In other words, I am not saying that your
e-mail setup is suspect.  Instead, I am saying that the behaviour on
the receiving end of "git am" that eventually calls "git mailinfo" is
suspicious.

Thanks.