Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] ci: avoid bare "gcc" for osx-gcc job

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2024 13:48:50 -0700

Kyle Lippincott <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 9:24 AM Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On macOS, a bare "gcc" (without a version) will invoke a wrapper for
>> clang, not actual gcc. Even when gcc is installed via homebrew, that
>> only provides version-specific links in /usr/local/bin (like "gcc-13"),
>> and never a version-agnostic "gcc" wrapper.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, this has been the case for a long time, and this
>> osx-gcc job has largely been doing nothing.
>
> If it's been doing nothing (which I interpreted as "it's doing the
> same thing as osx-clang"), and we've not noticed any issues with that,
> do we need the job at all? Should we just rely on clang and not test
> with gcc on macOS, since it's not a compiler that's provided by the
> platform anymore?

A very tempting suggestion.  I do not see any problems with the
direction.

Thanks.