Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/8] refs: add symref support to 'git-update-ref'

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:55:48 -0700

Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]> writes:

>> IOW, we should add support for operation modes other than "--stdin"
>> as well, shouldn't we?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> That's a good point, I was thinking of something like this too, but
> didn't want to bloat this series. Would it make sense to add this
> functionality in a follow up series with the cleanup that Patrick
> mentioned [1] too?

Going multi-step is usually a preferred approach but we have to be
sure that we do not have to retract the way earlier steps gave our
users when we move to later steps.  "Earlier we said that your
commands should look like this, but now you have to give your
commands differently" is absolutely what we want to avoid.

So, "in this iteration, you can use this enhanced feature only via
the "--stdin" mode, but we promise we will make the same available
on the command line" is perfectly fine.  You may need to retitle the
topic to clarify the scope of each iteration, though.

Thansk.