Subject: Re: [BUG?] "format-patch --range-diff=$commit HEAD^ HEAD" fails

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 10:30:31 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Immediately after "git commit --amend" of a single commit,
> this fails:
>
>     $ git format-patch --range-diff=@{1} -v2 HEAD^ HEAD

Please scratch this one.  I simply forgot that we have lost
the

	git format-patch <his> <mine>

syntax long time ago during Git 1.4.0 timeframe [*].  I somehow was
confused since we still have the corresponding

	rebase <since-onto> <mine>

syntax.

[Footnote]
 * I suspect this may not have been a conscious design decision but
   by accident during the rewrite of the command in C that I started
   at 3eefc189 (Tentative built-in format-patch., 2006-04-18) and
   whose final shape was documented by 2052d146 (Update
   documentation for git-format-patch, 2006-05-31).