Subject: Re: [REGRESSION] uninitialized value $address in git send-email

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 08:36:22 -0700

Michael Strawbridge <[email-masked]> writes:

> Whoops, somehow I missed the other responses on this thread until I
> looked on the web archive version of this mailing list.  I see that a
> solution to "Use of uninitialized value $address" has already been proposed.
>
> I suppose I may have mistook what issue was being reported.  I had
> originally understood the problem to be that hook related logic was
> failing with correct email addresses, but it seems rather that we are
> trying to fix an error that occurs when an email address that fails
> extract_valid_address_or_die() is given.  Feel free to ignore my last
> email if that is all we are trying to solve.

I just had an impression that the original was complaining about the
command failing, and the patches addressed a side issue that the
error message that is given when the command fails uses an undefined
value.  The report was not quite clear what Bagas considerd a
regression (e.g. did the command allow an invalid address like <pi@pi>
but now it complains?), though.