Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 5/5] diff: the -w option breaks --exit-code for --raw and other output modes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 15:26:37 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>> ...
>> about it is that it is not like we recompute the hash of the blob
>> after removing all whitespaces to show "git diff --raw -w" output).
>> 
>> But that is not an excuse for "git diff --exit-code --raw" to fail
>> to report differences with its exit status, when used with options
>> like "-w".  Make sure the command exits with 1 when these options
>> report paths that are different.
>
> I think s/with options like/without options like/ in the final
> paragraph?

Sorry, I am confused.  "diff --raw --exit-code" without "-w" reports
with its exit status that it found differences just fine.  When "-w"
is given, without this patch, it always reports 0.

What I wanted to convey was ...

    "--raw" and friends deliberately ignore "-w" and other "look at
    contents" options.

    The fact they do ignore the "look at contents" options is not a
    good excuse for "diff --raw -w --exit-code" to also ignore the
    request to report the differences with its exit status.  "diff
    --raw --exit-code" does report the differences as requested, and
    we should do the same when given "-w".

I guess the two have no logical connection so the latter sentence is
not making sense, with its "with" kept as-is or changed to "without".