Subject: Re: Teach git-fetch(1) to use a quarantine directory

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 16:56:05 -0700

Toon Claes <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1) Does it even make sense to make use git-fetch(1) use a quarantine
>    directory?

What's the goal here?  If the push gets rejected, remove the
incoming packfile data together with quarantine repository?  Who
will be doing such a rejection and how?  Does something run in the
quarantine repository as its main repository while using the final
one as an alternate (presumably some form of hooks) to make that
decision?  If these goals do not make sense, then no, it does not
make sense to teach "fetch" to use a quarantine directory.
Otherwise, teaching "fetch" would be a reasonable way to go forward.

It is a separate issue if the mechanisms added (if any) when we
tought receive-pack to use a quarantine repository are directly
applicable, if if they need some twaking, in order to reuse them in
the context of "git fetch".  But their needing some tweaking does
not mean that it does not make sense to try teaching "fetch" to use
quarantine repository.

Thanks.