Subject: Re: [PATCH] MyFirstContribution: refrain from self-iterating too much

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 08:01:46 -0800

Torsten Bögershausen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +Of course, you still may spot mistakes and rooms for improvements
>> +after you sent your initial patch.
>
> I can't resist the question: After outlining what not to do and why,
> could there be a hint what to do ?

There already is and it is the theme of the next paragraph.

People on the list do not have to see your patch immediately after
you wrote it.  Instead of seeing the initial version right now that
is followed by a series of "oops, I like this verison better than
the previous one" rerolls over 2 days, reviewers would appreciate if
a single more polished version came 2 days late and that version was
the only one they need to review.

Wait, re-read what you wrote, fix the problems you find locally, all
without sending it out until you find no more "oops, that would not
work" and simple typos.  Sleep on it.  

Of course, people are not perfect so they may still find issues
after they sent their patches out.

> It may be, that the author justs spots a simple typo, or there may
> be more heavier changes to be done.
>
> Should the author just respond to her/his patch as a reviewer does ?
> Like:
> Ops, there is a "typax", I should have written "typo".

Follow that with the same "I will fix this typo when I reroll, but
I'll wait for reviews from others" as the other one, and it would be
the second best thing you could do (the best is to avoid having to
say that, of course).

> Or:
> Re-reading my own stuff, I think that things could have been done
> in a way like this....
> Lets wait for more comments before I send out a new version.

Again, very good.