Subject: Re: [PATCH] mingw: include the Python parts in the build

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 10:29:46 -0700

"Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
writes:

> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
>
> While Git for Windows does not _ship_ Python (in order to save on
> bandwidth), MSYS2 provides very fine Python interpreters that users can
> easily take advantage of, by using Git for Windows within its SDK.

It may be an accurate description of the world and there may not be
anything incorrect in the above statement, but it took quite an
effort to try matching that statement to what the patch does.

I think

    Builds on $uname_S==MINGW by default sets NO_PYTHON=YesPlease
    and it benefits Git for Windows by allowing to omit Python.
    However, when "Git for Windows" is used within MSYS2's SDK, we
    can allow users to take advantage of Python interpreter that
    comes with it.  Override NO_PYTHON when the presence of
    ../THIS_IS_MSYSGIT indicates that we are in that situation.

is how the logic in this patch can be explained, but I have to
wonder if a more natural and easier-to-understand solution is to
move NO_PYTHON=YesPlease into "if we do not have ../THIS_IS_MSYSGIT,
do these things" ifneq() block, like the attached patch.

I didn't touch it but NO_GETTEXT does not appear in the common
section above "do we have ../THIS_IS_MSYSGIT?", and gets set 
after "we do not have ../THIS_IS_MSYSGIT", so I do not think
we need "NO_GETTEXT = " that clears it in the "we do have
../THIS_IS_MSYSGIT" part.  We may want to see if there are other
things that needs cleaning up around this area.

 config.mak.uname | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git i/config.mak.uname w/config.mak.uname
index ce83cad47a..999a7ae270 100644
--- i/config.mak.uname
+++ w/config.mak.uname
@@ -656,7 +656,6 @@ ifeq ($(uname_S),MINGW)
 	UNRELIABLE_FSTAT = UnfortunatelyYes
 	OBJECT_CREATION_USES_RENAMES = UnfortunatelyNeedsTo
 	NO_REGEX = YesPlease
-	NO_PYTHON = YesPlease
 	ETAGS_TARGET = ETAGS
 	NO_POSIX_GOODIES = UnfortunatelyYes
 	DEFAULT_HELP_FORMAT = html
@@ -686,6 +685,7 @@ ifneq (,$(wildcard ../THIS_IS_MSYSGIT))
 	INTERNAL_QSORT = YesPlease
 	HAVE_LIBCHARSET_H = YesPlease
 	NO_GETTEXT = YesPlease
+	NO_PYTHON = YesPlease
 	COMPAT_CFLAGS += -D__USE_MINGW_ACCESS
 else
 	ifneq ($(shell expr "$(uname_R)" : '1\.'),2)