Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] log: add default decoration filter

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 07:50:51 -0700

"Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
>
> When a user runs 'git log', they expect a certain set of helpful
> decorations. This includes:
>
> * The HEAD ref

OK.

> * Branches (refs/heads/)

OK.

> * Notes (refs/notes/)

Questionable.  None of the notes commits are on the primary history,
so it is unlikely to be even used for decoration, so it would not
hurt to have them as part of possible decoration sources, but on the
other hand, the value of using them is dubious.

> * Stashes (refs/stash/)

Questionable, for the same reason as 'notes'.

> * Tags (refs/tags/)

Abolutely useful.

> * Remote branches (refs/remotes/)

Ditto.

>  --decorate-refs=<pattern>::
>  --decorate-refs-exclude=<pattern>::
> -	If no `--decorate-refs` is given, pretend as if all refs were
> -	included.  For each candidate, do not use it for decoration if it
> +	For each candidate reference, do not use it for decoration if it
>  	matches any patterns given to `--decorate-refs-exclude` or if it
>  	doesn't match any of the patterns given to `--decorate-refs`. The
>  	`log.excludeDecoration` config option allows excluding refs from
>  	the decorations, but an explicit `--decorate-refs` pattern will
>  	override a match in `log.excludeDecoration`.
> ++
> +If none of these options or config settings are given, then references are
> +used as decoration if they match `HEAD`, `refs/heads/`, `refs/notes/`,
> +`refs/remotes/`, `refs/stash/`, or `refs/tags/`.
>  
>  --source::
>  	Print out the ref name given on the command line by which each

OK.

Thanks.