Subject: Re: Plumbing for mapping from a remote tracking ref to the remote ref?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 16:04:12 -0700

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> 	$ git refmap refs/remotes/somepath/{branch-A,branch-B}
>> 	origin refs/heads/branch-A
>> 	origin refs/heads/branch-B
>>
>> IOW, you give name(s) of remote-tracking branches and then you get
>> the remote and their ref for these?
>
> Modulo introducing a new top-level command (a subcommand of `git remote`
> would make much more sense and make the feature eminently more
> discoverable), and modulo allowing patterns in the ref to match, I agree.

"git remote" is primarily about "I have this remote---tell me more
about it", but this query goes in the other direction, and that is
why I threw a non-existing command to solicit alternatives that are
potentially better than "git remote".

FWIW, I did not have any opinion on where the feature should appear
or what the syntax to query the remote.<nick>.fetch refmap should
be, when I wrote the above.  I still do not (yet) have a strong
opinion.

I do not oppose to the "find remotes I can fetch from to update
these remote-tracking branches" feature existing.  I just wanted to
make sure whoever will work on it is aware of the fact that they
must consider the case with overlapping destinations.

Thanks.