Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] diff- family --stat width

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 14:33:32 -0700

"Thomas Koutcher via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> diff- family commands do not use the full terminal width. This is visible in
> Tig which uses git diff-files to show diffs for unstaged changes. When
> trying to display diffs with long filenames, the diffstat does not improve
> when the Tig window size is increased.
>
> This patch makes diff-files, diff-index and diff-tree --stat behave like
> diff --stat and use the full terminal width. The handling of the config
> option diff.statGraphWidth is also added.

I do not think it is a good move to change the output from these
plumbing commands, whose purpose of existence is to give more
predictable outcome, to be affected by dynamic elements like the
width of the terminal the user happens to be using.

A program or script that spawns the plumbing commands should be able
to pass --stat=<width>, --stat-graph-width=<width> etc. to control
its behaviour without affecting (and possibly breaking) what other
programs have been depending on for the last 15+ years.

Thanks.