Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 1/6] archive: optionally add "virtual" files

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 09:22:46 -0800

René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am 13.02.22 um 07:25 schrieb Junio C Hamano:
>>
>> So we do need some extra "manifest" to declare what's untracked etc.,
>> if we allow --add-file etc. to munge the tree when creating a tarball
>> out of it.
>
> Right, or get that information from the order of files in the archive,
> by having tracked files come first, then the signature file with a
> certain name and then untracked files.

That sounds like a workable approach, modulo that the details of the
"signature file with a certain name" part needs to be worked out.

We should make sure that we clearly document that "--add-file=" and
friends add their material after the contents that come from the
tree-ish, and make sure that the program does so and will stay doing
so.  Otherwise users cannot easily create an archive that follows
the above rule.

Thanks.