Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-apply: try threeway first when "--3way" is used

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2021 17:19:13 -0700

Jerry Zhang <[email-masked]> writes:

> Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-apply: try threeway first when "--3way" is used

Just for future reference, it is customery to start with [PATCH v2],
[PATCH v3], etc. when sending an updated patch to make sure it is
obvious to readers of the list which one is the latest.

> The apply_fragments() method of "git apply" can silently apply
> patches incorrectly if a file has repeating contents. In these
> cases a three-way merge is capable of applying it correctly in
> more situations, and will show a conflict rather than applying it
> incorrectly. However, because the patches apply "successfully"
> using apply_fragments(), git will never fall back to the merge,
> even if the "--3way" flag is used, and the user has no way to
> ensure correctness by forcing the three-way merge method.

I think this version addresses all issues I noticed in the previous
version.  Unless somebody else finds some more issues in a coming
few days, let's declare victory and merge it down to 'next'.

By the way, as my last response bounced for the address
[email-masked] you had on the CC list, I'm excluding it
from the Cc list of this message.

Thanks.