Subject: [PATCH] revision: wording tweak in comment for parsing "-m"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 21:03:20 -0700

We do not mean to say that the --ignore-merges (-m) option is to
show a patch with infinite number of context lines, but "show full
diff" can give such a wrong impression.  An alternative may be to
say "show diff with each parent for merges", but when combined with
the --first-parent option, the -m option does not mean that at all.
With these in mind, it seems that "do not hide" would probably be a
good enough compromise to clarify.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 revision.c | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/revision.c b/revision.c
index 73e3d14cc1..c34e1d0bed 100644
--- a/revision.c
+++ b/revision.c
@@ -2346,8 +2346,8 @@ static int handle_revision_opt(struct rev_info *revs, int argc, const char **arg
 	} else if (!strcmp(arg, "-m")) {
 		/*
 		 * To "diff-index", "-m" means "match missing", and to the "log"
-		 * family of commands, it means "show full diff for merges". Set
-		 * both fields appropriately.
+		 * family of commands, it means "do not hide diff for merges".
+		 * Set both fields appropriately.
 		 */
 		revs->ignore_merges = 0;
 		revs->match_missing = 1;
-- 
2.28.0-509-g776ef846e8