Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] clone: document partial clone section

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 15:45:00 -0700

"Teng Long via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Partial clones are created using 'git clone', but there is no related help
> information in the git-clone documentation during a period. Add a relevant
> section to help users understand what partial clones are and how they differ
> from normal clones.
>
> The section briefly introduces the applicable scenarios and some precautions
> of partial clone. If users want to know more about its technical design and
> other details, users can view the link of git-partial-clone(7) according to
> the guidelines in the section.
>
> Derrick Stolee (2):
>   partial-clone: set default filter with --partial
>   clone: document --partial and --filter options
>
> Dyrone Teng (1):
>   clone: document partial clone section

> base-commit: 6c85aac65fb455af85745130ce35ddae4678db84
> Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-745%2Fdyrone%2Fmaster-v2
> Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-745/dyrone/master-v2
> Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/745
>
> Range-diff vs v1:

Can you remind readers which thread was the v1?  Hopefully it is not
this one, right?

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

it concluded that it is not a great idea to set default filter with
"--partial", and the discussion led to a v2 with a reduced scope at

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

and that one is already cooking.

>  -:  ----------- > 1:  6f340d9aadf partial-clone: set default filter with --partial
>  -:  ----------- > 2:  9baf4c8ba38 clone: document --partial and --filter options
>  1:  f063efa545b ! 3:  c1a44a35095 clone: document partial clone section

Thanks.