Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] add additional config settings for merge

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:13:28 +0900

Ben Peart <[email-masked]> writes:

>  diff.renameLimit::
>  	The number of files to consider when performing the copy/rename
> -	detection; equivalent to the 'git diff' option `-l`.
> +	detection; equivalent to the 'git diff' option `-l`. This setting
> +	has no effect if rename detection is turned off.

You mean "turned off via diff.renames"?

This is not meant as a suggestion to rewrite this paragraph
further---but if the answer is "no", then that might be an
indication that the sentence is inviting a misunderstanding.

>  diff.renames::
>  	Whether and how Git detects renames.  If set to "false",
> diff --git a/Documentation/merge-config.txt b/Documentation/merge-config.txt
> index 5a9ab969db..38492bcb98 100644
> --- a/Documentation/merge-config.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/merge-config.txt
> @@ -39,7 +39,8 @@ include::fmt-merge-msg-config.txt[]
>  merge.renameLimit::
>  	The number of files to consider when performing rename detection
>  	during a merge; if not specified, defaults to the value of
> -	diff.renameLimit.
> +	diff.renameLimit. This setting has no effect if rename detection
> +	is turned off.

Ditto.  If your design is to make the merge machinery completely
ignore diff.renames and only pay attention to merge.renames [*1*],
then it probably is a good idea to be more specific here, by saying
"... is turned off via ...", though.

>  merge.renames::
>  	Whether and how Git detects renames.  If set to "false",

[Footnote]

*1* ...which I do not think is such a good idea, by the way.  I'd
personally expect merge.renames to allow overriding and falling back
to diff.renames, just like the {merge,diff}.renameLimit pair does.