Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 5/5] Testing: provide tests requiring them with ellipses after SHA-1 values

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 09:40:07 +0900

"Philip Oakley" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> We do not know until this change is released to the wild, at which
>> time we will hear noises about the lack of expected ellipses their
>> (poorly written) scripts rely on and tell them to set the workaround
>> environment variable.  We may not hear from such people at all, in
>> which case we may be able to remove it within a year or so, but it
>> is too early to tell.
>
> I was wondering if there should be a small documentation change for
> the env variable and states that it is a temporary measure for short
> term compatibility. Though I'm not sure where the 'right' place would
> be for it.

We list environment variables that applies git-wide in git(1), I
think.  If this is going to be only applicable for the "diff"
family, Documentation/diff-format.txt may be a better place, and
in that case the name of the environment variable may need to
include a word DIFF somewhere.