Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH v3 0/4] Incremental rewrite of git-submodules

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 13:32:50 -0700

Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Thanks.  I'll try to queue these before I'll go offline.
>>
>> Mentors may want to help the student further in adjusting the patch
>> series to the more recent codebase; unfortunately the area the GSoC
>> project touches is a bit fluid these days.  I resolved the conflicts
>> with nd/pune-in-worktree and bw/submodule-config-cleanup topics so
>> that the result would compile, but I am not sure if the resolution
>> is correct (e.g. there may be a new leak I introduced while doing
>> so).
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Ok, noted.
>
> Presumably I'll review your dirty merge then for this series?
> (And later parts might go on top of the new dirty merge)

In my mind, GSoC mentors are there to help the student improve as a
developer, more than they are to help improving the immediate output
of the student.  So in that sense, I was hoping that you'd teach how
to work well together with other developers, when one's topic has
interactions with topics by others.  Making sure an inevitable evil
merge is made correctly is of course needed for the current topic,
but a more important skill to learn is to avoid the need to ask an
evil merge to be made by the integrator in the first place.