Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jun 2016, #05; Thu, 16)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 16:51:43 -0700

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> According to [1], something in that test seems to have been trying to run
>>
>>     git update-ref -d git-p4-tmp/6
>>
>> Similarly in the other failed test.
>
> Ah, OK, that would try mucking with .git/git-p4-tmp/6 but that is
> not a place to have a ref.  It will not participate in reachability
> analysis and will end up losing the referents.
>
> Perhaps placing it under refs/git-p4-tmp would fix it (both in
> git-p4 and in tests)?

Oh, another thing.  If these refs are meant to be transient, they
are likely to be per worktree, if "git worktree" managed multiple
worktrees that share the same set of branches and tags are in use.

I recall we carved out one hierarchy under refs/ as "not shared
across worktrees" (was that refs/worktree/ hierarchy?  I didn't
check but please do so when the patch actually is written), and
that hierarchy is the appropriate thing to use for this, I think.

Thanks.