Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/6] notes: replace pseudorefs with real refs

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 19:17:31 -0700

Johan Herland <[email-masked]> writes:

> In fact, you can easily do a notes merge in a _bare_ repo...

You keep repeating that but I do not think it is relevant at all.

If you have a bare repository, you either

 (1) do not have any worktree associated with it; or

 (2) have worktrees associated with it elsewhere, but its parent
     directory is *not* the root of any worktree.

If (1), what are found outside GIT_COMMON_DIR (e.g. HEAD) is found
inside GIT_DIR, so if we leave NOTES_MERGE_REF and friends outside
GIT_COMMON_DIR and create the NOTES_MERGE_WORKTREE in GIT_DIR, that
would work just as fine as it currently does.

If (2), what are found outside GIT_COMMON_DIR (e.g. HEAD) is still
found inside GIT_DIR (that is now per worktree, but for your bare
repository, that is the repository directory itself).  Again, if we
leave NOTES_MERGE_REF and friends outside GIT_COMMON_DIR and create
the NOTES_MERGE_WORKTREE in GIT_DIR, that would work just as fine as
it currently does.

And as long as NOTES_MERGE_REF is made per $GIT_DIR ("per worktree"
is the phrase I am refraining deliberately here, because all the
worktrees have their own private area, and in addition, your bare
repository has one, too) that is protected against "multiple
checkout", all worktrees and your bare repository can perform
independent notes-merges.

Perhaps you meant by "per repo" to mean "per $GIT_DIR" in this
message, and if that is the case, then I think we are in agreement.