Subject: Re: [PATCH] mergetools: add config option to disable auto-merge

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 12:41:32 -0700

Michael Rappazzo <[email-masked]> writes:

> For some mergetools, the current invocation of git mergetool will
> include an auto-merge flag.  By default the flag is included, however if
> the git config option 'merge.automerge' is set to 'false', then that
> flag will now be omitted.

... and why is the "automerge" a bad thing that user would want to
avoid triggering under which condition?  That description may not
have to be in the proposed log message, but it would help users when
they decide if they want to use the configuration to describe it in
the mergetool.automerge configuration.

And depending on the answer to the above question, a configuration
variable may turn out be a bad mechanism to customize this (namely,
set-and-forget configuration variable is a bad match for a knob that
is more "per invocation" than "user taste").

Is this not about "automerge" but more about "always-show-UI because
I like GUI?"  Then that may be a "user taste" thing that is a good
match for a configuration variable.  I simply cannot tell from what
was in the message I am responding to.

> -TEMPORARY FILES
> ----------------
> -`git mergetool` creates `*.orig` backup files while resolving merges.
> -These are safe to remove once a file has been merged and its
> -`git mergetool` session has completed.
> -
> +CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
> +---------------------
> +mergetool.keepBackup::
> +	`git mergetool` creates `*.orig` backup files while resolving merges.
> +	These are safe to remove once a file has been merged and its
> +	`git mergetool` session has completed.
> ++

This is an unrelated change; I think it is a good change, though.

I however suspect that we would not want to repeat the configuration
description in this file and instead mention these in "see also"
section referring the readers to git-config(1).