Subject: Re: Promoting Git developers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:36:46 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

>   It is comprised of 41 non-merge commits...
>
> is fine.

Thanks; very much appreciated.

>> New contributors who made this release possible are as follows.
>> Welcome to the Git development community!
>> 
>>   Aleksander Boruch-Gruszecki, Aleksey Vasenev, Patrick Steinhardt,
>>   Ryuichi Kokubo, and Tom G. Christensen.
>
> I hadn't thought about it when I originally suggested this, but of
> course "new" is not strictly meaningful in a world with branches. If you
> contribute a bugfix on top of v2.0.0 that goes to "maint", do you get to
> be new in v2.0.1 _and_ in v2.2.0?

Yeah, tricky.  How about

    New contributors whose contributions weren't in $previous are as follows.
    Welcome to the Git development community!

Then after merging a topic to 'master' and then 'maint' and when
cutting v2.3.3, a new person will be listed as "not in v2.3.2" and
then again in the announcement for v2.4.0, as "not in v2.3.0".

Yes, it is cheating, but that would match the story the shortlog at
the end would tell.