Subject: Re: Promoting Git developers

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 21:16:02 -0700

Duy Nguyen <[email-masked]> writes:

> ... We may want to acknowledge review efforts as well, by
> grepping Helped-by:, Reviewed-by:...

Agreed. Something along the lines of 

    $ git shortlog --no-merges -s -n -t Helped-by -t Reviewed-by v2.3.0..
       6  4  0  Michael Haggerty
       3  0  1  Jeff King
       3  2  1  Junio C Hamano
       1  0  0  Anders Kaseorg
       1  0  0  Ben Walton
       1  0  0  Jean-Noel Avila
       1  0  0  Michael J Gruber
       1  0  0  Michal Sojka
       1  0  0  Mikko Rapeli
       1  0  0  Mårten Kongstad
       1  0  0  Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy
       1  0  7  Stefan Beller

that gives the number of trailer entries specified with -t in the
order specified when doing the short/abbreviated form may be a good
thing to have. The output can be piped to "sort -k" and "cut" to be
cooked in any way.

For completeness, in the long form, the extra numbers probably would
come next to names of the individual:

    $ git shortlog --no-merges -n -t Helped-by -t Reviewed-by v2.3.0..
    Michael Haggerty (6, 4, 0):
          write_ref_sha1(): remove check for lock == NULL
          write_ref_sha1(): move write elision test to callers
          lock_ref_sha1_basic(): do not set force_write for missing references
          reflog: improve and update documentation
          reflog_expire(): ignore --updateref for symbolic references
          reflog_expire(): never update a reference to null_sha1

    Jeff King (3, 0, 1):
          gettext.c: move get_preferred_languages() from http.c
          diffcore-rename: split locate_rename_dst into two functions
          diffcore-rename: avoid processing duplicate destinations
    ...

The long format needs to be careful not to drop those who helped
others without any commit under their own names.