Subject: [PATCH] Documentation: what does "git log --indexed-objects" even mean?

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 11:49:05 -0800

4fe10219 (rev-list: add --indexed-objects option, 2014-10-16) adds
"--indexed-objects" option to "rev-list", and it is only useful in
the context of "git rev-list" and not "git log".  There are other
object traversal options that do not make sense for "git log" that
are shown in the manual page.

Move the description of "--indexed-objects" to the object traversal
section so that it sits together with its friends "--objects",
"--objects-edge", etc. and then show them only in "git rev-list"
documentation.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/rev-list-options.txt | 12 +++++++-----
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/rev-list-options.txt b/Documentation/rev-list-options.txt
index 2984f40..97ef2e8 100644
--- a/Documentation/rev-list-options.txt
+++ b/Documentation/rev-list-options.txt
@@ -172,11 +172,6 @@ explicitly.
 	Pretend as if all objects mentioned by reflogs are listed on the
 	command line as `<commit>`.
 
---indexed-objects::
-	Pretend as if all trees and blobs used by the index are listed
-	on the command line.  Note that you probably want to use
-	`--objects`, too.
-
 --ignore-missing::
 	Upon seeing an invalid object name in the input, pretend as if
 	the bad input was not given.
@@ -644,6 +639,7 @@ Object Traversal
 
 These options are mostly targeted for packing of Git repositories.
 
+ifdef::git-rev-list[]
 --objects::
 	Print the object IDs of any object referenced by the listed
 	commits.  `--objects foo ^bar` thus means ``send me
@@ -662,9 +658,15 @@ These options are mostly targeted for packing of Git repositories.
 	commits at the cost of increased time.  This is used instead of
 	`--objects-edge` to build ``thin'' packs for shallow repositories.
 
+--indexed-objects::
+	Pretend as if all trees and blobs used by the index are listed
+	on the command line.  Note that you probably want to use
+	`--objects`, too.
+
 --unpacked::
 	Only useful with `--objects`; print the object IDs that are not
 	in packs.
+endif::git-rev-list[]
 
 --no-walk[=(sorted|unsorted)]::
 	Only show the given commits, but do not traverse their ancestors.