Subject: Re: [PATCH] introduce git root

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 09:26:00 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> There is also "git var", which is a catch-all for printing some deduced
> environmental defaults. I'd be just as happy to see it go away, though.
> Having:
>
>   git --exec-path
>   git --toplevel
>   git --author-ident
>
> all work would make sense to me (I often get confused between "git
> --foo" and "git rev-parse --foo" when trying to get the exec-path and
> git-dir). And I don't think it's too late to move in this direction.
> We'd have to keep the old interfaces around, of course, but it would
> immediately improve discoverability and consistency.

Yeah, I too think the above makes sense.  I forgot about "var", but
it should go at the same time we move kitchen-sink options out of
"rev-parse".  One less command to worry about at the UI level means
you do not have to say "if you want to learn about X, ask 'var', if
you want to learn about Y, ask 'rev-parse', use 'git' itself for Z".