Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] test-lib: Document short options in t/README

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:35:43 -0700

Ilya Bobyr <[email-masked]> writes:

> If there is decision on how shortening should work for all the
> options, maybe I could add a paragraph on that and make existing
> options more consistent.

We should strive to make the following from gitcli.txt apply
throughout the system:

 * many commands allow a long option `--option` to be abbreviated
   only to their unique prefix (e.g. if there is no other option
   whose name begins with `opt`, you may be able to spell `--opt` to
   invoke the `--option` flag), but you should fully spell them out
   when writing your scripts; later versions of Git may introduce a
   new option whose name shares the same prefix, e.g. `--optimize`,
   to make a short prefix that used to be unique no longer unique.

> If so, '--valgrind' becomes impossible to shorten because there
> is '--valgrind-only' that is a separate option.  Same for
> '--verbose'  and '--verbose-only'.

Correct.  If you really cared, --valgrind={yes,no,only} would be (or
have been) a better possibility, though.