Subject: Re: [PATCH] build: tolerate use of _Generic from glibc 2.43 with Clang

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2026 15:10:23 +0900

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, May 11, 2026 at 02:20:09PM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Wouldn't the approach you took on the meson side to pass
>> > "-Wno-c11-extensions" be yet another alternative?
>> 
>> In other words, I would imagine something like this patch that uses
>> the same strategy on both sides may be easier to reason about.
>
> I was going back and forth on this myself. I simply wasn't sure whether
> it even buys us anything anymore if we have both "-std=gnu99" _and_
> "-Wno-c11-extensions". But maybe this combination at least also detects
> the use of newer (C23) extensions?

We shouldn't be the only project hit by the unconditional use of
_Generic in glibc 2.43 headers, should we?  I was hoping that this
would be fixed upstream, and that anything we do locally is merely
a workaround of a tentative nature.

> In any case, I'm also happy with the patch you posted. Thanks!

Thanks for a quick response.

You may have guessed correctly that I want to fast-track this topic
down to 'next' and 'master' soonish to salvage CI jobs running for
them.