Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC] graph: implement git-log(1) --untangle

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2026 11:35:51 -0800

Toon Claes <[email-masked]> writes:

> I've been thinking about something else. Display in some way part of the
> history is missing, maybe by showing a '.' in the graph:
>
>     *
>     |\
>     | *
>     | *
>     | .
>     *
>     |\
>     * *
>     |/
>     *
>     *
>
> This indicates a piece of the history is truncated. I'm still on the
> fence about this

It has been quite a while since I used gitk the last time, but I
recall it did something similar.  Instead of saying "I removed line
from here so you do not know where the other end of it is", it drew
a little down arrow and there was some way to find the matching up
arrow further down in the graph (either being in the same color or
perhaps clicking on one end jumped you to the other one, taking
advantage of being interactive program, I do not recall the
details).  I wnder if we can "label" your "." above with something
like (a)..(z)(aa)..(az).. or something?