Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] pack-bitmap: deduplicate logic to iterate over preferred bitmap tips

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2026 08:35:17 -0800

Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +void for_each_preferred_bitmap_tip(struct repository *repo,
>> +				   each_ref_fn cb, void *cb_data)
>> +{
>> +	struct string_list_item *item;
>> +	const struct string_list *preferred_tips;
>> +
>> +	preferred_tips = bitmap_preferred_tips(repo);
>
> OK, so this is the sole caller of bitmap_preferred_tips() you were
> referring to earlier. That function's implementation is hidden from the
> diff context, but it's effectively a thin wrapper around
> repo_config_get_string_multi().

True.  I found it easier to see from the way the patch was written
that this is a pure refactoring patch, though.  IOW, we may want to
do that on top as a further rewrite, but I am not sure if it makes
the result easier to reason about.  Such helper functions that are
file-scope static often help reading the logic flow of the program,
and compilers would inline them when it is more beneficial anyway.