Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 04/10] xdiff: use size_t for xrecord_t.size

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2025 08:31:20 -0800

Ezekiel Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2025 at 4:08 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> "Ezekiel Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:
> ...
> mmbuffer_t holds all of the bytes of the file in memory, so the number
> of lines referenced in mmbuffer_t has to be less than or equal to
> that, which makes the point about long vs size_t moot for this patch
> series.

... because size there is still "long"?

> I don't like the current state that Xdiff is in either. That's why I
> intend to keep going with my xdiff cleanup series.

Great, and we already have seen improvements; an intermediate state,
as we already discussed in this thread, may be noisier with casts
but that cannot be avoided.

> I agree. It's nice to see some clean code in this patch series.

Thanks.