Subject: Re: [BUGS] Git v2.51.2 on NonStop

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2025 12:42:32 -0700

"Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2025, at 18:40, [email-masked] wrote:
>> I have found new defects on 2.51.2 that were not present in 2.51.1 when
>> building with OpenSSL 3.5 (probably unrelated).
>>
>> Many failures in t7900 resulting from the use of test_subcommand ! as
>> seen below. This is run in bash 5.0.18:
>>
>>[snip]
>
> Would it make sense for maintenance releases to have a small release
> candidate pre-release?  Both of these maintenance releases have had
> issues.

Well, that is usually called "the tip of 'master'".  Has NonStop
been having issues with the tip of 'master'?  For how long?  Why
haven't we heard about it at all?  After things are merged there
(which requires them to be cooking in 'next'---oh, has NonStop been
having issues with 'next'?  For how long?), only fixes are chosen
and merged to 'maint' to be the next maintenance release.  I doubt
any pre-release on 'maint' has much value in that anybody who are
not testing the tip of 'master' would not be testing it either.