Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 2/2] range-diff: add configurable memory limit for cost matrix

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2025 14:45:40 -0700

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2025 at 2:22 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> I am not a huge fan of configuration variables that do not have a
>> command line option.  Assuming that it is not like you'd be doing
>> overly huge range-diff that would not fit your memory every day,
>> shouldn't we start this with a command line option without a
>> configuration variable to gauge how useful it would be for users
>> with such a need, and then after it proves useful and we identify a
>> workflow where a user would be passing this option all the time, add
>> a configuration to allow it always be in effect (with command line
>> override still available)?
>
> Isn't that what Paulo's patch does?  Maybe I'm just blind, but I've
> looked over the patch a couple times and don't see where he's reading
> from a configuration variable; am I just missing it?

Ah, I just blindly trusted that the "configurable memory limit" on
the subject line is talking about configuring memory limit with some
mechanism.  Thanks for correcting me.