Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 01/10] builtin/cat-file: rename variable that tracks usage

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2025 20:25:27 +0000

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > -	const char * const usage[] = {
>> > +	const char * const builtin_catfile_usage[] = {
>> 
>> Nit: Style: we use a right pointer alignment, while it is not part of
>> your code change, would be nice to fix.

Sorry, but I do not get the "right pointer alignment" here.  There
is a rule to say that the asterisk sticks to variable (and member in
a struct/union) rather than to type, and since <type> comes before
the <variable> being declared in C, it would be <type> *<variable>,
but that is different from "write asterisk stuck to the right
identifier".

> Not in this case though:
>
>  $ git grep 'const char \*const' | wc -l
>  85
>  $ git grep 'const char \* const' | wc -l
>  180
>
> It's mixed, but we do have more cases of the latter.

I think what you wrote is fine.  Thanks.