Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/6][Outreachy] Introduce os-version Capability with Configurable Options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2025 10:39:00 -0800

Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]> writes:

> For debugging, statistical analysis, and security purposes, it can
> be valuable for Git servers to know the operating system the clients
> are using.

OK.  I think the reorganization done in this round makes it much
easier to see what is going on in each step.  Very well done.

The only remaining issue from my point of view is if we really want
this as a separate and new knob with capability, or if we would be
better off to carry this kind of extra piece of information by
enhancing existing "agent" capability.  Given what Web Browsers do
in their UA strings, it does feel cumbersome for analitics tools to
pay attention to two separate input sources (os-version and agent).

Has somebody brought up any downsides of cramming the OS information
to the existing agent thing?  I have not thought of any possible
downsides since I made this suggestion in a previous review of this
topic, but I may be missing something obvious, so...

Thanks.