Subject: Re: The health of gitk, was Re: [PATCH] gitk: check main window visibility before waiting for it to show

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2024 17:07:18 +0900

Paul Mackerras <[email-masked]> writes:

> I recently (as in several weeks ago) sent Junio Hamano an email asking
> this question, and asking for his opinion on the best way to proceed
> with gitk patches, but got no reply.

Ah, it was probably (just) before I took a few weeks off, and I
completely forgot about it.  I tried to be careful pushing back
patches that touch both inside and outside gitk but I wouldn't be
surprised if some slipped in by mistake.  We could split them out
and get your tree back in sync, if you prefer to keep gitk as
semi-independent project that is subtree bound to our tree.  The
arrangement had merit in early days, back when git itself and gitk
could have different release cadence, but in practice, I haven't
seen gitk separately issuing freestanding releases to end users (or
end-users installing versions of gitk independent from the version
of git they have, for that matter), so perhaps the separate tree
arrangement has outlived its usefulness?  I dunno.

Thanks.