Subject: Re: v2.47.0-rc1 test failure on cygwin

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2024 10:54:53 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Right now I don't yet have a good idea for how to fix the issue. I've
> been trying a bunch of different things that, according to Windows docs,
> should've made the renames work. But they didn't, and I don't really
> have an alternative right now. So I'll need to keep on thinking about
> this, and maybe get some more help from people familiar with Windows.
>
> So deferring Git 2.47 because of it probably does not make much sense
> unless somebody can up with a solution. Also, as noted already, this is
> not a regression, the behaviour actually improved even on Windows. Not
> to the degree I was hoping for, but at least a bit. So that's another
> reason why I don't think it is worth deferring over this.

OK.  

I was thinking that we may need more time to cook the real fix on
target (read: not Windows) platforms, but if that is not the case,
then let's stick to the original schedule.

Thanks.