Subject: Re: Git Bug Report: git add --patch > "e" makes keyboard unresponsive

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:23:27 -0700

"brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Using the "e" option should invoke your editor and wait until it exits.
> The only way Git has to know that you're done editing is that the editor
> process it invokes has exited.

Whichever editor was launched, unless the user explicitly said the hint
is not necessary by setting advice.waitingForEditor to false, the code
should have given something like this:

    hint: Waiting for your editor to close the file...

so ...

> What does "git var GIT_EDITOR" at a Git Bash prompt print?  If you have
> your editor configured to open in an existing editor window, does
> closing the new editor tab or window that Git causes to be opened fix
> the problem?

... I would expect that there may be something more than a silly
"the editor is running elsewhere and the user is stuck, expecting
something to happen but the editor is waiting for the user" problem
here.  For example, could there be funny interaction with "single
key" mode with editor on Windows (which I do not use myself but I
think I saw the word in the original report)?  Is the configuration
"interactive.singlekey" enabled?