Subject: Re: Feature request: highlight local worktree in `worktree list`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 07:38:57 -0700

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is a dumb idea or not, but: what if git-branch
> learned to display branches associated with worktrees (just like "-r"
> lists remote branches, etc).

A branch usually, but not necessarily, is checked out in at most one
worktree, so the display may become a bit more cluttered when more
than one checks out the same branch, but it is similar to how a commit
pointed at by multiple refs are shown with --decorate, so I do not think
it is such a huge deal.

> I think the only thing it wouldn't do is show worktrees that are
> detached from any branch at all. I'm not sure if that's important to
> your workflow or not.

If such a mode in "git branch --list" were written, I would imagine
that the output from such a mode will include detached HEAD from
other worktrees as well.  Perhaps something like this?

    $ git branch --list --worktrees
      (HEAD detached from ffa877cd2f, checked out in worktree 'buildtest')
      jch (checked out in worktree 'integration')
      maint
    * master (checked out in the primary worktree)
      next
      seen
      jk/branch-list-with-worktree