Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] Documentation/user-manual.txt: example for generating object hashes

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 14:57:13 -0800

Dirk Gouders <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'd rather not to waste readers' attention to historical wart.
>
> Yes, but -- I should have mentioned it -- the document itself suggests
> to read the initial commit.

Ahh, yes, we'd need to hedge that part.  Good thinking.

I am still not sure if the first hunk below is a good idea or it is
too much detail.  The second hunk may be worth doing.

Thanks.

 Documentation/user-manual.txt | 6 ++++--
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git c/Documentation/user-manual.txt w/Documentation/user-manual.txt
index 6433903491..1027055784 100644
--- c/Documentation/user-manual.txt
+++ w/Documentation/user-manual.txt
@@ -4093,7 +4093,8 @@ that not only specifies their type, but also provides size information
 about the data in the object.  It's worth noting that the SHA-1 hash
 that is used to name the object is the hash of the original data
 plus this header, so `sha1sum` 'file' does not match the object name
-for 'file'.
+for 'file' (the earliest versions of Git hashed slightly differently
+but the conclusion is still the same).
 
 As a result, the general consistency of an object can always be tested
 independently of the contents or the type of the object: all objects can
@@ -4123,7 +4124,8 @@ $ git switch --detach e83c5163
 ----------------------------------------------------
 
 The initial revision lays the foundation for almost everything Git has
-today, but is small enough to read in one sitting.
+today (even though details may differ in a few places), but is small
+enough to read in one sitting.
 
 Note that terminology has changed since that revision.  For example, the
 README in that revision uses the word "changeset" to describe what we