Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 1/2] git-compat-util: add strtol_i_updated()

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:20:47 -0800

"Mohit Marathe via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: Mohit Marathe <[email-masked]>
>
> This function is an updated version of strtol_i() function. It will
> give more control to handle parsing of the characters after the
> integer and better error handling while parsing numbers.

i2 was horrible but this is worse.  What would you call an even
newer variant when you need to add one?  strtol_i_updated_twice?

To readers who are reading the code in 6 months, it is totally
uninteresting that strtol_i() is an older function and the new thing
was invented later as its update.  What they want to learn is how
these two are different, what additional things this new one lets
them do compared to the old one, namely: we can optionally learn
where the run of the digits has ended.

Perhaps call it "strtoi_with_tail" or something, unless others
suggest even better names?

Thanks.