Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/12] remove REFFILES prerequisite

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:46:20 -0800

"John Cai via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: John Cai <[email-masked]>
>
> These tests are compatible with the reftable backend and thus do not
> need the REFFILES prerequisite.

May want to give a bit more backstory here?  After all, 53af25e4
(t1405: mark test that checks existence as REFFILES, 2022-01-31) and
53af25e4 (t1405: mark test that checks existence as REFFILES,
2022-01-31) marked these tests to require REFFILES and they explain
the reason for doing so was exactly because the reftable backend did
not have the notion of "the reflog for this ref exists" that is
independent from "the reflog for this ref exists and has one or more
reflog records".  If your work on the reftable backend during the
past few years added support for "already exists, but there is no
entry yet" state for reflogs, that would be great, but it would make
sense to explain why they suddenly have become "compatible with the
reftable backend".

Thanks.

>
> Signed-off-by: John Cai <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  t/t1405-main-ref-store.sh  | 2 +-
>  t/t2017-checkout-orphan.sh | 2 +-
>  2 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/t/t1405-main-ref-store.sh b/t/t1405-main-ref-store.sh
> index e4627cf1b61..62c1eadb190 100755
> --- a/t/t1405-main-ref-store.sh
> +++ b/t/t1405-main-ref-store.sh
> @@ -112,7 +112,7 @@ test_expect_success 'delete_reflog(HEAD)' '
>  	test_must_fail git reflog exists HEAD
>  '
>  
> -test_expect_success REFFILES 'create-reflog(HEAD)' '
> +test_expect_success 'create-reflog(HEAD)' '
>  	$RUN create-reflog HEAD &&
>  	git reflog exists HEAD
>  '
> diff --git a/t/t2017-checkout-orphan.sh b/t/t2017-checkout-orphan.sh
> index 947d1587ac8..a5c7358eeab 100755
> --- a/t/t2017-checkout-orphan.sh
> +++ b/t/t2017-checkout-orphan.sh
> @@ -86,7 +86,7 @@ test_expect_success '--orphan makes reflog by default' '
>  	git rev-parse --verify delta@{0}
>  '
>  
> -test_expect_success REFFILES '--orphan does not make reflog when core.logAllRefUpdates = false' '
> +test_expect_success '--orphan does not make reflog when core.logAllRefUpdates = false' '
>  	git checkout main &&
>  	git config core.logAllRefUpdates false &&
>  	git checkout --orphan epsilon &&