Subject: Re: [Outreachy] Move existing tests to a unit testing framework

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 11:51:34 -0700

Luma <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi;
> My name is Luma, and  I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself
> and share some
> insights on an essential aspect of  avoiding pipes in git related
> commands in test scripts.
>
> I am an outreachy applicant for the December 2023 cohort and look
> forward to learning from you.

I notice that the title of the message and the immediate topic you
discuss in the body of the message do not match.  I presume that the
topic on the title is what you prefer to work on if the unit testing
framework is ready by the time Outreachy program starts, and the
mention about "do not clobber exit code of Git with pipes in the
tests" is your "dip the tip of a toe in water" microproject?

Welcome to the Git development community.

Do you have a single word name?  If so please disregard the below,
but in case "Luma" is just a nickname (e.g. like I am introducing
myself to my Git friends "Hi, I am Gitster!") you use online, please
read on.

For signing off your patches, we'd prefer to see your real name
used, as Signed-off-by: is meant to have legal significance.  And
because we also expect the authorship identity to match the
name/e-mail of the sign-off, it would mean your patch submissions
are expected to look like:

	From: Luma <[email-masked]>
	Subject: ... title of the patch goes here ...

	... body of the proposed commit log message goes here...

	Signed-off-by: Luma <[email-masked]>

but "Luma" replaced with your full real name.

Thanks.