Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/8] fetch: move reference width calculation into `display_state`

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 13:59:07 -0700

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> In order to print references in proper columns we need to calculate the
> width of the reference column before starting to print the references.
> This is done with the help of a global variable `refcol_width`.
>
> Refactor the code to instead use a new structure `display_state` that
> contains the computed width and plumb it through the stack as required.
> This is only the first step towards de-globalizing the state required to
> print references.

Nice.

Given that in the previous step, what used to be called display got
renamed to display_buffer (I think "buffer" ought to be sufficient
in this context, though), the variable of "struct display_state"
type should NOT be named "display", as it would be confusing when
two things are related to "display" and only one of them is called
as such.  Either "display_state" or "state" would be fine.

Thanks.