Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Feb 2023, #01; Thu, 2)

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 10:35:32 -0800

Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>
>> * so/diff-merges-more (2022-12-18) 5 commits
>>  - diff-merges: improve --diff-merges documentation
>>  - diff-merges: issue warning on lone '-m' option
>>  - diff-merges: support list of values for --diff-merges
>>  - diff-merges: implement log.diffMerges-m-imply-p config
>>  - diff-merges: implement [no-]hide option and log.diffMergesHide config
>>
>>  Assorted updates to "--diff-merges=X" option.
>>
>>  May want to discard.  Breaking compatibility does not seem worth it.
>>  source: <[email-masked]>
>
> Hi Junio,
>
> This does not break any compatibility, as far as me and I believe
> reviewers of these series are aware.

The last paragraphs in the review two months ago still describe what
this series does fairly accurately, I think.

    These patches do look like a good approach to solve the first point
    among the "two problems" in the previous round. Thanks for working
    on it.

    IIRC, the previous round (why is this round marked as v1, by the
    way?) was reviewed by some folks, so lets wait to hear from them
    how this round does better.

    Unfortunately, I do not think of any "solution" that would avoid
    breaking folks, if its end goal is to flip the default, either by
    hardcoding or with a configuration variable.  IOW, the other one
    among the "two problems" in the previous round sounds unsolvable.
    We should question if it was really an "issue" worth "resolving",
    though.