Subject: Re: Segmentation fault within git read-tree

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 13:49:08 -0800

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not sure if Frédéric is seeing another segfault in practice (when
> not using --debug-unpack), but yeah, it is very easy to trigger this
> segfault. It does not even have to do with sparse checkouts, etc. Here's
> an even more minimal example:
>
>   git init repo
>   cd repo
>   touch file
>   git add file
>   git commit -m added
>   git read-tree --debug-unpack --prefix=subtree HEAD
>
> I was going to bisect, but it looks like it was broken all the way back
> to Junio's ba655da537 (read-tree --debug-unpack, 2009-09-14).

As "git read-tree --help" does not even metnion "--debug-unpack", I
have no idea what it does, or how useful the debug information it
produces is.  As long as the same command without --debug-unpack
works OK, I'd throw this into "does it hurt? don't do it, then" bin.

;-)