Subject: Re: [PATCH v4] pretty-formats: add hard truncation, without ellipsis, options

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:57:13 +0900

Philip Oakley <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As a design question, what should "Trunc" do in such a case now?  I
>> do not think we can still call it "hard truncate" if the feature
>> gives "[][]" (i.e. fill only 4 display columns, resulting in a
>> string that is not wide enough) or "[][][]" (i.e. exceed 5 columns
>> that are given), but of course chomping a letter in the middle is
>> not acceptable behaviour, so ...
> The design had already covered those cases. The author already had those
> thoughts

Sorry, I was saying that none of

 * giving only [][] to fill only 4 display columns, without filling
   the given 5 display columns,

 * giving [][][] to fill 6 display columns, exceeding the given 5
   display columns,

 * giving [][][ that chomps a letter in the middle, in a failed
   attempt to fill exactly 5 displya columns.

would be a sensible design of the behaviour for "Trunc", so I am not
sure what "had already covered" really mean...