Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/12] fsmonitor: Implement fsmonitor for Linux

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 09:58:22 -0700

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> I don't know how germane it is to the current thread, but previous
> discussions[1,2,3,4] favored dropping use of Apple's Common Crypto
> altogether since it doesn't seem to buy us much (or anything) and is
> incomplete; it doesn't support all of the OpenSSL API Git uses.

Yeah, that matches my recollection.  Unless the situation has much
changed, dropping it may not be a bad thing to do.

But

 * Fixing the fsmonitor code so that it can also be used with things
   other than Common Crypto is the most urgent.  The topic gave us a
   grave regression (those who used to successfully build Git can no
   longer build with their favourite configuration).

 * Updating the build procedure so that sha1dc is used by default
   everywhere is a good idea, but that is less urgent and should be
   done separately, preferrably long after the dust settles from the
   above.

 * Removing Common Crypto support may not be a bad idea, but that is
   even less urgent, unless the support burden is slowing us down or
   forcing us to settle on common set of features that is too
   limiting.

Thanks.