Subject: [PATCH] SubmittingPatches: use usual capitalization in the log message body

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 11:07:54 -0700

Update the description of the summary section to clarify that the
"do not capitalize" rule applies only the word after the "<area>:"
prefix of the title and nowhere else.  This hopefully will prevent
folks from writing their proposed log message in all lowercase.

Signed-off-by: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/SubmittingPatches | 4 +++-
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git c/Documentation/SubmittingPatches w/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
index 5bd795e5db..927f7329a5 100644
--- c/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
+++ w/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
@@ -153,7 +153,9 @@ files you are modifying to see the current conventions.
 
 [[summary-section]]
 The title sentence after the "area:" prefix omits the full stop at the
-end, and its first word is not capitalized unless there is a reason to
+end, and its first word is not capitalized (the omission
+of capitalization applies only to the word after the "area:"
+prefix of the title) unless there is a reason to
 capitalize it other than because it is the first word in the sentence.
 E.g. "doc: clarify...", not "doc: Clarify...", or "githooks.txt:
 improve...", not "githooks.txt: Improve...".  But "refs: HEAD is also