Subject: Re: [PATCH v4] branch: allow "-" as a shortcut for "previous branch"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:52:04 -0700

Rubén Justo <[email-masked]> writes:

> Teach "git branch" the use of "-" as a shortcut for "@{-1}", like in "checkout
> -", "merge -" and other commands.

I am sorry that this is now at v4, but let's not do this.

"git checkout -" was started purely because "cd -" is a fairly well
known way to say "go back to the previous directory" (it is "cd ~-"
in some shells).

No shells accept "mv - newname" to rename the directory we were
previously in, or "rmdir -" to remove it.  And "diff -r - ." does
not compare the previous and the current directory recursively.
But all of these can be done (with some shells) if you use a proper
syntax, "mv ~- newname", "rmdir ~-", or "diff -r ~- .".

Yes, we may have by mistake added "git merge -" as well, but it is
perfectly fine to say that we should admit it as a mistake and plan
to possibly deprecate it in the longer term.  We shouldn't use it as
an excuse to make things even more confusing.

Thanks.  I think your other "git branch -d @{-1}" thing is sound,
though.